Paleo Sunday Morning Pancakes


Bonjour my loverlies!


Breakfast foods are my favs, particularly all things brunch. I woke up wanting some good pancakes with a bit of a crisp edge and fluffiness in the middle but they had to be gluten-free and Grain-free, as well as bad sugars-free. I have tried several Paleo crepe, pancake, and tortilla recipes, and the one thing they had in common was that they all tasted so strongly of egg whites that I gagged every time I ate them. I ended up throwing away too many and getting pissed about the money I was losing.
I decided today would be different, so I played with what I had on hand and got a decent pancake. Non-Paleo peeps did not like the coconut/nutty taste but I can't change white flour, gluten- loving, white sugar inhaling, addicted to bad carbs, individual's, and I am not trying to convince those who don't want to know. 


I actually enjoyed them, ate 4 pancakes, which is a lot for me. Now before you think I inhaled 4 pancakes the size of the plate, I always make smaller rounds, leftovers from culinary school and working brunch kitchen days. I miss the big griddle, there's something so satisfying about flipping 15 or more pancakes at a time. 
Anywhoodles, I am posting the recipe as is right now, I think I may tweak it a bit but it was yummy and sustaining, as is.
Here you go... 

PALEO SUNDAY MORNING PANCAKES:
Ingredients:
1/2 Cup Coconut flour
1 Tbsp Potato starch
1 Tbsp Arrowroot starch
2 Tbsp Tapioca starch 
1 tsp Baking powder 
Pinch pink sea salt
3 Tbsp Organic honey
1 Cup Almond milk soured with 1 tsp lemon juice and stirred
1 Tbsp Vanilla extract 
1 Egg large
3 Egg whites
1/4 Cup Grape seed oil

Method:
-In a medium bowl combine dry ingredients, reserve. (keep aside) 
-Buttermilk almond milk with lemon juice and stir well. 
-In a separate, dry, clean bowl, whip whites until soft peaks for. 
-Make a well in the dry ingredients, pour in buttermilked almond milk, add whole egg and vanilla, mix well. 
-Gently fold in egg whites and honey. 
-In a pan on medium low heat, heat 2 Tbsp grape seed oil and check if hot by dropping a dot of batter. If it sizzles around the edges of batter, it's hot enough. 
-Cook each pancake for about 2 minutes and flip, cook for another 1-2 minutes. Must be golden on each side, these pancakes do not bubble like a regular batter, so you must watch closely so they don't burn. 
Makes 8-10 pancakes. 
Enjoy with maple syrup and remember to share with someone you love. 




1 comment on "Paleo Sunday Morning Pancakes"